Celebrating a Virtual Lunar New Year
Lunar New Year is a time for families to come together, decorations, fireworks, gifts, and Ang Baos (red envelopes). The Spring Festival might not feel the same this year, but there’s plenty of ways you can still celebrate, albeit virtually!
Following the Monetary Authority of Singapore’s advice urging people to send e-gifts instead of physical notes to celebrate the occasion, our team at Wirex have been thinking of ways that we can help you to make the best of a difficult situation. There’s no reason why you can’t make celebrating the Year of the Ox the best New Year yet, with our safe and fun ideas!
5 Tips to Celebrate a Virtual Lunar New Year
With the power of technology at your fingertips, there’s nothing stopping you from taking part in all your usual traditions over the internet!
1. Organise your Virtual Party
The cap on household visit numbers in Singapore might mean your big parties are a little smaller than you’re used to, but a virtual Zoom party can be just as fun! Consider using a festive Zoom background to help set the mood.
Plan your guestlist, send out your email invites, and organise games to play such as virtual mahjong, Chinese Chess and Dou Dizhu (Chinese Poker). You’ll be on webcam, so there’s nothing stopping you from getting dressed up for the occasion either, and you can avoid the manic crowds.
If anything, the unusual circumstances of 2020 have challenged all of us and been a learning for many. Make sure you all share what you’re grateful for and what you’re looking forward to in 2021!
2. Decorate Your Home
Nothing can raise your spirits than dressing up home. Given that we’re spending the majority of our time sleeping, working and socialising in it at the moment, why not order some Chinese Red Lanterns and Kumquat Tree to get you in the holiday spirit. Take pictures and share it on social media, or give a house tour during your virtual party.
3. Cook Yourself a Special Dinner
You might be by yourself, or just in a small group this year, but that shouldn’t stop you from having a feast. ‘Reunion dinner’s’ on New Year’s Eve are thought to be the most important meal of the year, so whether it’s fish, Chinese dumplings or Niangao, now you can cook up a storm and try out new recipes without the added pressure of cooking for a huge group in your home! After, you can sit down and watch the Spring Festival Gala, and set off a firecracker like everyone else.
4. Send Money to a Loved One
Ang Baos have gone virtual this year. There’s over 700,000 migrant workers in Singapore alone who might not be able to travel home to visit their loved ones given the circumstances, so show the same love you have always shared for your friends and family abroad by sending virtual Ang Baos – in the form of crypto!
Whether they’re in Hong Kong, Australia or even the UK, with Wirex, you can make their day by sending them good fortune and money instantly, at the best in-market rates, to anywhere in the world. It’s hassle-free, COVID-safe and environmentally-friendly as well.
How do I send an e-Ang Bao with Wirex? Check out this tutorial here.
Tip: Make sure to set them up with a Wirex account - sending crypto to another Wirex user is FREE!
5. Treat Yourself to Something New
Gong hei fat choy – from us at Wirex to you, we want to make sure that you get to feel the fortune as well. Make all your purchases this Lunar New Year with your Wirex Visa card, and automatically get rewarded in up to 1.5% back in Bitcoin.
Other exclusive offers include:
- From spring-cleaning essentials to new gadgets, baby essentials and even new clothing – get 8 SGD off on a minimum spend of 20 SGD when you buy with your Wirex Visa card from Lazada
- Whether you’re having friends over or not, get your party essentials sorted up RedMart! Sick of traditional Lunar New Year food? Add in a variation with the delicious range of Korean snacks and food available at RedMart! Spend at RedMart with your Wirex Visa card and get 15 SGD off on a minimum spend of 80 SGD.
- If you are looking for that perfect CNY outfit, look no further than Zalora. With so many fashion and beauty brands available at just one click at Zalora, simplify your shopping with free delivery to your doorstep, plus easy returns should you decide not to keep it. Get 15% off on a minimum spend of 80 SGD when you purchase with your Wirex Visa card
- Reduce your expenses this season by saving on fees and earning WXT rewards in places where cards are not accepted, all with our trusty partner, CardUp. Using your Wirex Visa card with CardUp and entering the promo code “WIREX” means you pay only 1.8% fees on your first HK$50,000 worth of payments. In fact, by setting up 5 months of recurring payments with CardUp and using your Wirex card to pay, you could earn an enormous 9,115 WXT*! That’s one less thing to worry about this #holiday season. Get started by registering with CardUp now. More details here. *T&Cs apply.
- Check out our full list of Visa merchant offers here.
Bring Yourself Good Fortune and WXT
We want to help new and existing customers to feel the fortune this New Year, so we’ve got some exclusive limited time offers to celebrate:
- New customers - by signing up to Wirex between the 12th and 18th Feb, you’ll be gifted 888 WXT (available from 12th- 18th Feb, must verify account during this period, limited to first 458 users in APAC region, for full T&Cs see here). If you’re new to Wirex, here’s a few tips to help you register on this link.
- Existing customers – receive 888 WXT if you spend at least 18 SGD between 19th - 26th Feb (available 19th-26th Feb, limited to first 458 first card transactions, for full T&Cs see here). Here’s a few tips to help you add funds to your account with your local bank card