We’ve Launched 3DS Biometric Authentication
- Wirex has launched 3DS2 biometric payments for UK, EEA, and APAC users
- It will add an extra layer of security for online transactions
- Learn how to enable and use 3DS biometrics on your device today
We’ve launched 3DS2 (3D Secure) biometric payments in-app for UK, EEA and APAC (inc. Singaporean and Australian) users. This will help keep our users more secure and make it easier for you to login and authorise transactions.
What is 3DS Biometrics?
3D Secure is a step you take when you’re buying something online with your Wirex card. If you’re paying with a 3DS-enabled card on a website that uses 3D Secure, you'll automatically be sent a push notification asking you to open the app to confirm. It’s ultimately an extra layer of security to ensure that it’s you that’s making the transaction rather than a fraudster.
3DS2 biometric payments is the next step on from that. It uses biometric authentication such as face ID or fingerprints to keep the process of authenticating more simple and secure, providing the payment is low risk or with a trusted merchant.
What can Wirex customers do with 3DS biometrics?
- Set up 3DS Biometrics on their devices to log into the app
- Authorise transactions with biometrics by receiving in-app push notifications instead of confirming by OTP text messages
What are the benefits:
More security – ensures transactions are verified by the account holder, whilst biometrics adds an extra layer of security compared to just using a pin that can be stolen. In line with Wirex’s priority to uphold the most resilient safety and security methods for our customers, it also ensures we comply with PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) deadlines in the EEA and UK
Easier to use – using biometrics reduces friction when customers are paying for transactions, by reducing the steps and number of buttons needed to authenticate it and make the process more seamless
How can I enable 3DS biometrics?
There are two ways that you can enable 3DS biometrics.
- When logging into your device, you may be prompted to enable it.
- Access it by heading to your Preferences > Security > 3D Secure. You may be asked whether to use this device as your primary – click ‘Change Device’.
Depending on your settings, we may also request that you set up a PIN or enable biometric authentication before you can use this feature.
How can I use 3DS to confirm a payment?
- Enter your Wirex card details for an online purchase
- A screen will appear giving you the option to verify the payment through the app or SMS. Choose the app
- You will receive a push notification on your device, providing you have the Wirex app installed and you are logged in
- Click the notification or open the Wirex app to review the transaction details. You can then confirm or reject the payment
- Once the payment has been confirmed, return to the merchant's website and click "continue" to complete the transaction