Wirex Launches in USA
We’re excited to announce that Wirex has launched in the USA! Americans all across the country will now be able to access easy, secure, and more affordable crypto and fiat currencies in everyday life.
It’s a big deal. We’ve partnered with Zero Hash, Checkout.com, Visa and Sutton Bank to help make this launch a reality, and have now started to distribute our hugely popular debit card across the USA. We already provide cutting-edge services to over 4.5 million users across the EEA and APAC regions, earning a reputation for our commitment to innovation and security, and a US launch is the next step in introducing this financial alternative to a mainstream audience.
What's our mission?
Wirex seeks to revolutionize payments in the US, offering the ability to buy, hold, exchange and sell US dollars as well as 37 different cryptocurrencies from a single intuitive app, as well as seamlessly send and receive crypto from external wallets. State-of-the-art technology links the app to a contactless Visa debit card, allowing customers to spend their cryptocurrency* online and in-store at over 80 million locations globally. Additional features include free domestic and international ATM withdrawals**, no annual fee, zero exchange fees, near instant crypto transactions, and live transaction notifications. What’s more, thanks to our collaboration with Checkout.com, customers can also instantly top up with zero fees by linking their debit cards.
Since launching in 2014, we’ve become famous within the fintech community for developing the first crypto-enabled debit card, as well as the world’s first crypto rewards scheme, Cryptoback™. The program rewards users with up to 8% in X-points for every purchase which can be exchanged for any other crypto in-app. Continuing its quest for the mass adoption of the digital economy, we’ve released an upgraded rewards scheme, X-tras, as well as a DeFi-powered interest-earning product, as X-Accounts, which will both be available in the US shortly.
“We’re excited to be able to empower American consumers, whether a hardcore crypto-enthusiast or a novice fintech fan, to experience the benefits of a digital economy,” commented Harold Montgomery, Managing Director of Wirex USA. “US users have been demanding an alternative to traditional forms of payment, and that’s where Wirex steps in. We’re known for upholding regulatory and licensing standards where required, and applying industry-best practices where regulations don’t yet exist. American customers can expect the same level of compliance.”
Edward Woodford, the CEO of Zero Hash and the crypto trading infrastructure platform powering the Wirex’s crypto launch, commented that, “This is an excellent time to enter the US market and Wirex is primed for success as cryptocurrencies gain momentum as a payment option. Recent studies confirm this with nearly 60 percent of US consumers wanting to pay with crypto to make everyday purchases.1Our deep expertise in US regulations and our API-first approach makes us consistently the chosen partner for fintechs such as Wirex to expand to the US.”
2021 was a huge year for Wirex, and 2022 will be no different. We’re continuing to create an enhance digital ecosystem with the recent release of the non-custodial Wirex Wallet, and an investment in DeFi protocol Nereus, positioning us for exponential growth.
To sum up:
- Mobile app allowing customers to easily and safely buy, store, exchange and sell traditional and digital currencies anytime, anywhere
- On-chain transactions enable crypto to be sent and received from external wallets
- Next-generation technology links the Wirex app to a contactless Visa debit card, allowing these funds to be spent at over 61 million locations globally
- Prepaid Card Funds are held at or transferred to Sutton Bank, an FDIC-insured institution. Once there, your funds are insured up to $250,000 by the FDIC in the event Sutton Bank fails, if specific deposit insurance requirements are met. See fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/prepaid.html for details
- Commission-free trading and zero ATM fees**
- Instant top-ups by linking your debit/credit card
- Ability to earn up to 8% X-Points rewards back for any in-store and online purchases made, with Cryptoback™ rewards scheme and X-tras program
- Over 4.5 million customers globally, with huge success in EEA and APAC already
- Currently available to all US states (except New York, coming later this year)
- Further plans to launch additional features and products to US customers
*Cryptocurrencies are automatically converted to USD at point of sale or ATM withdrawals
** Zero ATM fees on withdrawals up to $250 per month, 2% thereafter
Your Wirex Visa Prepaid Card (the “Wirex Card”) will be issued by Sutton Bank, an Ohio chartered bank corporation whose main address is at 1 South Main Street, Attica, Ohio and who is a member of Visa.